Selecting the right show for your craft or art can be a tricky thing. We have all had great shows as well as ones where you have bombed. Picking the right venue for you and your craft is a key to your success at a show. I am by no means the end all expert at this but over the years, I have learned a few things that I am happy to share.
How to find shows in your area: I keep my eyes open for shows all year. Finding good shows to participate in will require some work and research but it will be worth it if you find the right ones for you. Here are some the resources I use.
- Newspapers – One of my best resources is our community newspaper. When I see a show advertised, I make note of the information and add it to my list.
- Google Search – Use Google, or your favorite search engine, to search for shows by typing in “Craft Shows in (enter your city)”. This should return a list with a variety of resources to explore.
- Facebook or Google+ – Search for groups and organizations that focus on craft shows in your area. There are several in my area that post upcoming show information.
- Online Services – There are services out there that have “lists” of craft shows. My favorites are Festival Net (www.festivalnet.com) and Zapp (www.zapplication.org ) . Zapp is geared toward Art Shows and higher end shows where Festival Net has a large variety of events. While you can search on Festival Net for free, they do require a yearly subscription to get the most out of the site.
- Mail or Email Solicitations – Once you have exhibited at a few shows you may start receiving other invitations from people who picked up your business card and thought your products would be good for their show.
- Other Crafters – Talk to your booth neighbors as well as other vendors to find out about other shows they are doing. Many people have a small hand out available that details the shows they have coming up. Be sure to pick up cards from vendors that are doing well and look at their web site and Facebook pages. Often there will be a list of upcoming shows or posts from ones they have done in the past.